1. Understand your budget: Sure, you can use plastic, but why not save a bit more and buy it at the right time? The first is having to sell it after a while due to financial constraints. The second is buyer’s remorse. Both of these can be avoided by either buying a watch in your true price range or waiting and saving more money to buy the one you really want.
2. Don’t try to impress anyone: Unless you are rapper, pimp, a soldier for the Russian mob, his girlfriend, or a true fan of gold, platinum, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc, then don’t buy a watch that is made from any of those materials. The reason why is because they are marked up more than steel watches and you will likely end up losing much more money, even relatively, if you decide to trade it or sell it later. Watch companies’ margins on these more luxurious metals and materials are outrageous and they rarely add to the true performance of the watch- unless you count recognition factor as part of that performance.
3. Know Your Style: Unless you’re a true collector, you probably only have a few watches you wear regularly. That said, try to stay true to your style and pick the design that fits your wardrobe and lifestyle. For example, if you’re an active person who mountain climbs every weekend and works at a casual office, then a Breitling Aerospace Avantage on a rubber strap would be more suitable than a TAG Heuer Monaco.
4. Do Your Research: Either ask someone who’s pretty knowledgeable or research on the internet. Due diligence will pay off big in two ways. First, you will probably buy the watch at a better price. Second, you will pick the better value, and third you will have the more reliable piece.
5. Don’t let anyone talk you into anything: Asking for advice is ok, but if you really, really want a particular watch, don’t let anyone stop you. This isn’t life-threatening like diabetic eating a box of Crispy Kreme’s. As stated in tip #4, do your research, but buy what you want or else you will definitely regret your selection.
Watchuwant.com is the leader in the pre-owned luxury watch sales industry. From their offices in Hollywood, Florida, they have bought and sold tens of thousands of premium timepieces while setting the standard for product quality, process transparency, and customer satisfaction.